- Which type of code should I apply for?
If the network you are requesting codes for does not contain an STP (Signaling Transfer Point), you should apply for point code blocks. If your network does contain an STP(s), you qualify for either a large or small network code, based on the size of your network. Please refer to the instructions provided under small and large networks to determine whether you qualify for a large or small network code.
- What is a point code block?
A point code block contains four point codes, the smallest unit of issue. Even if you only have one switch, you will be issued four point codes. You may save the redundant codes for future use, as long as the additional switches are in the same state for which you applied for the original code. Conversely, you can also apply for as many point code blocks as is necessary to address all your signaling points (SPs).
- How do I complete the field which asks for all signaling points in the network?
Enter the total number of switches in your network, including any new switches you are requesting point codes for. If these switches have previously been assigned point codes, list them by CLLI code in the text box.
- If I am requesting point codes for STPs, must I assign member 000 to those STPS?
As per the Assignment Guidelines, member 000 is to be reserved for STP assignment only. However, any member within the cluster you have been assigned may be assigned to an STP.
- What is the fee for the assignment of a point code?
There is a $200 non-refundable application-processing fee, which is the only fee you will be charged, on a per application basis.
- How long does it take to have the point code issued?
Telcordia will issue your point code to you within 10 working days of receipt of a properly completed application.
- How do I return a point code or have the assignee information for the point code changed?
Complete the Return Form for the return of a point code and the Change Request Form for a change in assignee information.
- Where can additional information be found regarding the assignment of point codes?
Additional information regarding point code assignment can be found under the "View Assignment" section on the SS7 Home Page.
- How do I obtain an international point code?
Contact Cathy Hsu of the FCC at 202-418-2114.